Spanish Bilingual Program Information
- To provide English Learners whose first language is Spanish and who have limited English proficiency, with equal access to education through the use of Spanish and English
- To develop English language proficiency in accordance with the WIDA Language Proficiency Standards
Who does the Spanish Bilingual Program serve?
- English Learners whose native language is Spanish
How does a bilingual child qualify for the Bilingual Program?The child’s:
- Home Language Survey has Spanish marked as their native language
- English screener test proves the student is an English Learner
- ACCESS scores are below a 5.0 composite score and a 4.2 reading and writing score
How will the Spanish Bilingual Program help my child?
-Provides support for English Learners’ linguistic and academic needs
-Focuses on best practice and research- based instructional strategies
-Is aligned with the Common Core State Standards through instruction in Spanish and English
-Encourages a positive identity, self- confidence, and cultural pride in students
-Supports students’ academic language in their native language of Spanish, to then later bridge them to a proficiency of academic language in English
Will my child be taught the same subjects and learn the same skills as students in General Education?
- All students in the Spanish Bilingual Program will receive instruction in accordance to Common Core State Standards in Spanish and English.
- Spanish language arts, math, science, and social studies are taught in the Bilingual Program.
- PE, music, art and drama are also part of a bilingual student’s curriculum.
Will my child learn English while in the Spanish Bilingual Program?
- Academic instruction begins in Spanish and transitions to English. By 3rd grade, students receive half of their instruction in Spanish and half in English.
- English Language instruction is a part of the education that takes place in a bilingual classroom.
- Bilingual students obtain listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English through regular daily instruction.
When do the students exit and enter the Spanish Bilingual Program?
- The Spanish Bilingual Program is provided for Pre-K through 5th grades
- The Spanish Bilingual Program is hosted at Henking and Hoffman Schools (If you live within another school’s boundaries, transportation for your child is provided to Henking and Hoffman)
How can I become involved in the Spanish Bilingual Program?
- Join the Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee (B-PAC) and participate in planning for our Bilingual Program.
- Attend Hispanic Parent Outreach sessions and learn about your child’s education.
- Become a volunteer to support the bilingual classrooms and after school programs.