Health & Safety Protocols
District 34’s goal is to keep all students, in person, every day in the safest environment possible. To reach that goal, the District will continue to follow guidance from the leading public health agencies (as we have done throughout the pandemic).
On July 9, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued updated guidance for schools; the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) quickly followed the CDC’s lead, and the Illinois State Board of Education adopted the IDPH guidance. You can view details of the guidance:
The guidance covers several key areas to encourage school districts to track local conditions and have a layered strategy to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The layered approach is necessary in an environment where not all students are eligible for vaccination, and at a time when the Delta variant is becoming more prevalent.
Staff members and students (or someone in that individual's household with whom it is not possible to mask and distance at all times) who are awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test outside of SHIELD screening should remain home until they receive a negative test result.
- If my child is a close contact on the bus, can they test to stay?
- If my child has a positive test, can they re-test and return to school if negative?
- Can my child test to stay if they get tested outside of school?
- Can my child test to stay if they are a close contact at lunch?
- Can my child test to stay if they are a close contact at home or during a club sport, party or other outside activity?
- Can my child test to stay if they are not signed up for the weekly SHIELD testing?
- If my child previously tested positive for COVID-19, can they participate in SHIELD testing?
- Will I have an opportunity to change my choice for SHIELD testing for my child at a later date?