Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum, Assessment and Instruction
Director of EL & Bilingual Programs
Hispanic Community Engagement Coordinator
Hispanic Community Specialist
(847) 774 -1082
- Learning occurs at a different pace, depth and style for all children, including gifted students. These differences for some gifted students are significant and necessitate something different from other students, not merely more of the same.
- A curriculum modified in level of content, depth and pace is necessary for gifted students in their area(s) of strength.
- Abstract ideas and complex issues are consistently grasped and extended by gifted students in a deeper, broader manner than by their age peers.
- Gifted students need opportunities to learn with other gifted students as well as other age mates.
- Students need to have their giftedness recognized as soon as it is demonstrated.
- Gifted students need teachers trained in gifted education.
- All staff need on-going staff development in the area of gifted education.
- The needs of gifted children are as disparate from the norm as the needs of special education students. The needs of gifted children in District 34 can be met with a proportional allocation of resources and expertise.