D34 ParentConnect is the new parent education initiative designed to provide ongoing opportunities for parents to learn and connect throughout the year. It's a partnership between District 34 and the Family Service Center (FSC).
There are two primary connections:
- Large-group presentations on topics that are important to parents.
- Monthly discussion groups for parents to connect around topics of interest, learn about mental wellness resources, and discuss how to implement helpful ideas into their own lives.
The topics of these parent education sessions will be chosen based on the results of the spring 2018 parent survey. The District-wide events will offer information and tangible takeaways that every parent can use. There will be time for Q&A and an opportunity to connect with other parents.Children & Anxiety: Considerations for Mindful Parenting
October 3, 2018
Attea Middle School
RESCHEDULED! February 27, 2019
Attea Middle School
Social & Emotional Learning (SEL) in the Home: Practical Strategies to Support Healthy Emotional Development in Children
Spring Date/Time/Location TBD
These monthly discussion groups will be your place to learn, share, and connect with other parents who have similar questions and who face similar parenting challenges. Facilitated by experts from FSC, parents will meet based on the age of your children so you can have relevant and focused conversations. Each month will focus on a general topic, but these are launching points. There will be flexibility to explore any area that's important to you.
- December: Growth Mindset
- January: Parent guilt/societal pressure
- February: Navigating devices and social media
- March: Navigating devices and social media (continued)
- April: Free range parenting/fostering independence
- May: TBD
Morning sessions will be at the Park Center in room 203 from 9:15-10:45am.
Evening sessions will be at the District 34 Administration Building (1401 Greenwood Road) from 7:00-8:30pm.
- PK-2: November 1, December 6, January 10, February 7, March 7, April 4, May 2
- 3-5: November 8, December 13, January 17, February 14, March 14, April 11, May 9
- 6-8: November 15, December 20, January 24, February 21, March 21, April 18, May 16
What Parents Say About Discussion Groups"Hearing other moms' experiences helps a lot. I feel like I'm not alone."
"I came here for community."
"I feel like this is my lifeline."
The D34 ParentConnect Council
The D34 ParentConnect Council worked together to develop a parent education program that meets the needs of our community. The members are your resource if you have questions, want to connect through informative and meaningful conversations, or want to find a friend to go to a discussion group with.
Family Service Center
Renee Z. Dominguez, PhD, Executive Director
Robin Lake, MA, LCSW, Therapist & Outreach Educator
Dr. Dane Delli, Superintendent
Erik Friedman, Principal, Pleasant Ridge
Mary Geraghty, Executive Director of Student Services
Cathy Kedjidjian, Director of Communications & Strategic Planning
Keeley Lawriw, School Social Worker, Attea Middle School
Melanie Walstrom, Communications Assistant
Missy Amrol, Springman
Jen Biank, Hoffman, Springman
Beth Burns, Hoffman
Brandie Fagin, Lyon, Pleasant Ridge
Karen Hitzeman, Attea
Whitney Langas, Pleasant Ridge
Jennifer Leitel, Springman
Shiva Mohsenzadeh, Glen Grove
Alison Parry, Henking
Westbrook Parent Rep TBD