SUN Bucks Summer Meal Program

SUN Bucks

Summer electronic benefit transfer (EBT), or SUN Bucks, is a new permanent nutrition program authorized U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to help families buy food for their school-aged children during the summer. SUN Bucks 2024 will provide a $120 annual benefit to eligible children via an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) issuance by the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) later this summer. More basic information on the new federal program is available on the USDA website at Illinois is one of 36 states that have announced their intent to launch Summer EBT in summer 2024.

Is My Child Eligible for SUN Bucks?

Your child is eligible for SUN Bucks if: 

  • Your child is identified as direct certified due to participation in SNAP, TANF, income-eligible.
  • Medicaid (185% of the federal poverty guideline), or is identified as foster, homeless or migrant.
  • Your child attends a school that offers the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and/or School Breakfast Program (SBP), and your household income meets the requirements for free or reduced-price school meals. (A household can complete a Household Eligibility Application (HEA) at schools participating in NSLP/SBP at any point during the school year. Contact your school for an HEA.)

How Do I Enroll My Child in SUN Bucks?

If your household has already been notified of automatic eligibility, your child will be automatically enrolled in the SUN Bucks program. You do not need to fill out an application. You will get a card in the mail sent to the address your child’s school has on file. (Households are encouraged to ensure that the enrolling school has your current mailing address.) If you are not automatically enrolled and believe your children are eligible, you can apply to receive SUN Bucks by filling out a simple application. A statewide Summer EBT application will be made available after the school year has ended. More details will be shared once they are available.

Who Should I Contact With Questions?

Your school can assist you with basic questions about Summer EBT. However, households should visit the DHS website ( for information about Illinois Summer EBT. IDHS will be setting SUMMER EBT up a customer help line at (833) 621-0737 to assist families. The agency will be able to assist with such things as the card distribution timeline, usage, allowable expenses, and lost or misplaced cards.

Summer Meal Information

Healthy summer meals are available for all children (18 and under) when school is out. To find a summer meal site close to you:

Call 1-800-359-2163  or Text FoodIL to 304-304 or visit

Free Summer Meals are part of the Summer Food Service Program funded through the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered by the Illinois State Board of Education. 

Free Summer Meals available in Illinois. Contact 800-359-2163


Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of
an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

1. mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

2. fax:
(833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or

3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.