Spanish Bilingual/Dual Language Program
Pre-K-5th: One-Way Spanish Dual Language Program
6th-8th: Spanish Bilingual Program
Goals of the Program
What are the goals of the Language Program and who does the program serve?
- To provide English Learners whose first language is Spanish and who have limited English proficiency, with equal access to education through the use of Spanish and English
- To develop English language proficiency in accordance with the WIDA Language Proficiency Standards
- To instruct students in both English and their native language in core academic subjects at school (language arts, math, science and social studies)
- To grow biliterate students who can read, write and speak in Spanish and English
- To teach the history and culture of the country of the students' native language
How will these programs help my child?
- Provides support for English Learners’ linguistic and academic needs
- Focuses on best practice and research- based instructional strategies
- Is aligned with the Common Core State Standards through instruction in Spanish and English
- Encourages a positive identity, self- confidence, and cultural pride in students
- Supports students’ academic language in their native language of Spanish, to then later bridge them to a proficiency of academic language in English
Frequent Asked Questions
Q: How does a bilingual child, whose home language is Spanish, qualify for the Dual Language Program?See Answer about Q: How does a bilingual child, whose home language is Spanish, qualify for the Dual Language Program?