Remote+/GOAL Start for the 2020-2021 School Year
District 34 will start the school year in a Remote+ environment until, at the earliest, September 29. Parents also have the option to register their children for the Glenview Online Academy for Learning (GOAL). If you missed the meeting, you can view the recording and the presentation slides.
The Board gave careful consideration to the options and did not take their decision lightly. Like every single one of you, like every one of our teachers -- and like me -- the Board wants nothing more than to open our buildings for in-person learning when it is safe to do so. The decision to start in Remote+ and enter in-person learning in phases came down to a few key factors:
- Safety. With COVID-19 cases on the rise in our region (Region 10 in IDPH’s tracking tool), along with the other logistical challenges we face, the best move for District 34 is to start the school year in Remote+/GOAL and lay out the plans and guideposts that give us a careful path to in-person learning.
- Staffing. We must have enough teachers, associates, nurses and health aides, building leaders, custodians, food service workers and bus drivers to ensure that students have a safe, consistent and positive learning environment.
- Substitutes. Our pool of substitute teachers must be large enough to handle the increased absences that we are sure to face during COVID-19. We will continue to promote the need for substitutes, and the fact that the District has increased the pay rate for subs, and will monitor our ability to cover absences from our sub pool.
- Space. We intend to follow the guidance of health agencies and the scientific research that shows that distancing is important in reducing the spread of COVID-19.
The year will require flexibility and coordination to be able to monitor and move -- the reopening plan is “D34 Flex.”
Working groups now will focus their efforts on building a robust, engaging, Remote+ learning community, and planning for the phase-in of in-person learning. The remote environment will improve upon our spring E-Learning program with greater accountability, assessments and grading, and synchronous teaching and learning. There also will be small-group, in-person opportunities to build relationships and classroom connections for both Remote+ and GOAL classrooms.
Parents are asked to log into PowerSchool by August 3 to choose either Remote+ or GOAL. While both options will initially offer identical teaching and learning experiences and opportunities, Remote+ students eventually may move into a Hybrid environment, with increased in-person learning. The decision to move to Hybrid for in-person learning will depend on metrics, including:
- Regional health data
- Substitute pool
- Supply levels
- Executive orders
GOAL students will remain in a remote environment for the first trimester (until November 20). At that time, the District will open another registration opportunity for parents to move their child into our out of GOAL.
A few other important dates:
- Thursday, July 30 (7-8:30pm): Parent Webinar
- Monday, August 3: Remote+ / GOAL Registration Deadline
- Monday, August 17: Teacher Assignments/Class Placements Sent
- Monday, August 24: First Day for Students (parents will receive details about the first days for early childhood and kindergarten students)
We recognize that this decision comes with challenges for families, and that you have many questions. We will continue to update the website to provide details as they are available, and will email you the information you need directly. Please join a parent webinar on Thursday from 7:00-8:30pm to learn more, and have your questions answered. Please submit questions in advance so we can answer the greatest number of questions as possible during the webinar.